Wednesday, May 25, 2011

5 Pieces in Progress

Ok so I know I said I would be posting more often but got a little caught up with life and work for this upcoming show. I did however pick up some promising freelance work storyboarding for commercials, have worked well into five pieces or so for this upcoming show, and lost 50 lbs(healthily).

So last I updated  I spoke of a solo show in June at a local coffee house. That show now has been postponed to sometime in July which couldn't be better. I certainly could use the extra time to finish as much work as possible. Also in the last update I uploaded a thumbnail of the first piece I'd be working on for this show but since then have floundered around a bit and kind of changed the theme the show entirely. Most of my work tends to be fairly biographical and as of recent has a great deal to with relationships. The original theme was going to really play on the weird and almost unseen ties between two lovers and the impact that that relationship has on its surroundings(sort of a lovers string theory if you will).  It seemed like a fairly decent idea but I was having a problem with stale repetitive imagery. I realized in my drawing phase that I wasn't going to enjoy the amount of hearts I was going to have to paint. That being said I moved on to the idea of parasitic and symbiotic relationships being a general theme.  I find it interesting how often we strive for the perfect relationship, one that is symbiotic in its most simplest form, a very even give and take. More often than not when they fail there's is this element of the parasite that assimilates itself and eventually kills its host(the relationship). I thought more about this and realized that a parasite does not have to be something like a leech where it's ultimate goal is to drain the life out of the host. It could be something so young, infantile, and needy that it necessitates the life force of another to further its growth(ie a panda cub). What I've eventually landed on is somewhere in the between. Thus far most of the work for this series features beautiful and almost fetishized women and humming birds(the symbiotic) and soon to come panda cubs(the parasitic) but enough talk! Lets take a look at some images.

So this is the thumbnail that I upload oh so long ago.


Next I have some progress shots. I had a few problems with this one. I didn't treat the wood so I was having absorption issues which stopped me from painting in very thin layers as per my usual. This is the thickest I've kept my paint and I like how it turned out. What's more I kind of got lazy and repeated the same image(the hearts) which left the piece kind of boring and static. Ok Progress Shots! Go!!






As you can see I removed the hearts. This piece isn't far from a finishing point. The edges need to be cleaned up, her halo needs to be more circular, I need to give her eyebrows so she doesn't look so creepy(Yikes!) and add white feathers falling from her hands and silhouetted humming birds. I'm just realizing now it is 1:00 AM where I am which means only four more hours of awake time to paint so I'll have to cut this update short but I will leave shots of the the other pieces I'm working on.











Coming up on the next update, Thumbnails!!!  Progress Shots!!! And so much more.

1 comment:

  1. Nice work, dude! The one with the girl lying down is looking good. You can definitely see the refinement of your process as you burn through these. Keep it up!

    ReplyDelete